Tuesday 16 September 2008

Pike attack


11092008010, originally uploaded by james.marchington.

A couple of posts back I mentioned that I'd been fishing the River Anton in Hampshire the other day. That post was made from my mobile phone by the riverbank (is there a word for a techno-showoff, or is that just 'saddo'?)

What I wasn't able to post at the time was this pic of a small grayling, which Emma hooked. As she reeled it in, a large pike came out of the reeds - spotting what looked like an easy meal - and grabbed it!

The pike soon realised its mistake and let go - leaving the grayling with these nasty gashes down its side. It was virtually dead by the time Emma got it to the bank, and it quickly died. Another almost identical fish I caught later was returned unharmed to the water and swam off strongly.

No comments: